Narayana dasa is one of the most versalite rasi dasa. It holds the same importace as Vimshottari dasa holds among the nakshatra dasa system. It can be used for not only analysing all aspects of human life, but also all aspects of mundane affairs. It can also be suitably compressed to accomodate smaller events such as as swearing in charts etc. Though the name does not suggest much differences it has as compared to the vimshottari dasa system, in actual practice, this dasa is more deterministic and fixed and shows the wishes of Narayana, whereas the vimshottari dasa shows the reaction of normal mortals to the situations they are placed in.
This article gives some insights on how to analyse the narayana dasa in a chart. For more details, the readers can study Narayana Dasa by Pt. Sanjay Rath.
The planets can be arranged in the order of decreasing beneficence such as Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Sun, Saturn, Mars, Ketu and Rahu. The influence of the benefic planets on the dasa rasi brings association with nice people (those who are represented by the planets themselves) and bestow various things on the native, based on its natural significations. For example, dasa Rasi housing Jupiter or Venus gives association of learned and holy people, religious learning etc.
Dasa Rasi occupied by its own lord, Jupiter, Mercury, an exalted planet or strong benefics shall be favorable. In none occupy or aspect adverse results obtain (unless the sign is beneficial and Paka and Bhoga are strong). On the contrary, placement of malefic planets (unless it happens to be its own sign or sign of exaltation) damages the house in ways corresponding to its natural nature. It must be borne in mind that malefics when strong does not have much venom in it and only when weak can be extremely deadly. Thus the advice here would be to watch out for debilitated malefics or their placement in marana karaka sthana (very weak position, covered in later part of the article).
Similarly the association of benefic planets to the houses brings out prosperity and positive qualities of that house. For example, beneficial association in the fourth house gives conveyances, lands, treasures etc. While Moon & Venus give excellent conveyances, Jupiter gives a chauffer driven vehicle (or palanquin bearers) in addition. Here, the houses can be reckoned both from the Lagna and the Dasa sign. The difference would be that, when reckoned from the Lagna, the result would reflect the effect of those combination through out the life of native, whereas when reckoned from the Dasa sign, the result would show the effect only during the duration of the dasa. One might need to study the effect of planets in different houses and signs, to exactly judge the effect of a planets during Narayana Dasa. One point I need to highlight here is that, all planets when placed strong display the positive side of their being and when placed weakly and afflicted display their negetive side. Even malefics bestow their positive qualities to the natives when they are strongly placed in a horoscope. For that matter, when malefics (Saturn, Mars) are placed in exaltation and own house in a kendra, it cause the mahapurusha yoga.
The effect of planets are also modified by a yoga or combination. A yoga is said to have happened when at least two planets have exchanged placed, are in conjunction, are in mutual aspect, have exchange their navamsas or have exchanged their nakshatras. The inherent qualities of a planet change due to such associations/ yogs/ combinations. Standard texts have given the results of each such combination, which might be extremely difficult to memorise. One of the guideline to analyse the effect of such combination is that planet exchange their nature during such associations; the benefics would behave like malefics and the malefics would behave like benefics. The order of beneficence is Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Sun, Saturn, Mars, Ketu and Rahu. Whenever two planet conjoin, the most benefic would exchange its qualities with the most malefic one when seen in the order of beneficence. Thus when Jupiter, Mars and Rahu conjoin, Jupiter would give the results of Rahu and vice versa, whereas Mars's qualities will remain unaltered. Again when Jupiter, Moon, Mars and Rahu conjoin, like the first case Jupiter would exchange its qualities with Rahu and Moon would do the same with Mars.
The functional nature of planets are also to be considered during the analysis of a dasa. Maharishi parashara says that the quadrants/ kendra are the houses of Vishnu and the trine/ trikona are the houses of Lakshmi. On one hand the kendra shows the direction in life of the native (which hindus call Ayana) the trikona shows growth and prosperity. Thus the association of the lords of trines with Dasa Rasi is most conducive to self-development and the association of the lord of quadrant shows change of direction of life. There are four directions in the life of any creation, dharma (the direction of self effort, righteousness, fulfilment of all duties and obligations), artha (direction of material prosperity and acheivements), kama (the direction of enjoyment), Moksha (the direction of detachment and liberation). The focus of a person change during different dasas based on the nature of the house whose dasa is running, which is moderated by various combinations (placement, association, aspects).
The natural significations of planets bloom during the dasa of a sign placed with or aspected by the planets. Thus in the periods of dasa sign of Ketu (grha karaka- significator of home) or Venus (kalatra karaka- significator of spouse), marriage can be predicted. Similarly the period of dasa sign with Mars in it can show procurement of landed property, Jupiter can show amassing huge wealth etc. The significations of various planets can be studied from the standard classics.
THE DEHA AND THE JEEVA
The deha and jeeva concept of Narayana dasa helps us in finding out the details of the condition of health and internal being during the Narayana Dasa period. It is possible that during a cetain dasa, physically we might be perfect, however, worried and restless within and similarly the contrary is also too. Maharishis have differentiated between the states of body and Mind.
The Deha represents the physical body of the person. The dasa sign itself is the Deha. The Naisargika Deha karaka is the Naisargika Atmakaraka Sun. Thus for determining aspects of health of the native, the position of the dasa sign from the Sun, the Chara Atmakaraka and Lagna should be examined.
The position of the deha rasi from the Sun would show, what situations are affecting the health of the person undergoing that dasa. This is because Sun represents the atma of the whole world and reckoning the dasa rasi from the Sun shows our relationship with respect to the world. From the Lagna it would represent the physical state of the person and from the Chara Atmakaraka it would represent, how well the Body fulfils the internal drives set by the Chara Atmakaraka. It is noteworthy to see the placement of the functional benefics and malefics with respect to the Sun, Chara Atmakaraka and the Lagna to judge various perspectives of the health of the native.
While the deha shows the physical state of the native, the Jeeva shows the mental state. To find it, count as many signs from the Dasa rasi, as the dasa rasi has gained from Lagna. Lets say for a Sagittarius Lagna native, Libra Dasa is running; then Leo becomes the Jeeva. The Naisargika Jeeva is Jupiter and the position of the Jeeva Rasi should be examined from Jupiter.
Interpretation of Deha and Jeeva
The natural malefics in the Deha and Jeeva signs trouble the physical and the mental/ psychological health of a native. For this matter, the natural malefics Rahu, Saturn, Mars or the Sun are considered with Rahu being the most and Sun being the least evil. If they present in both Deha and Jeeva, death or similar suffering could occur during that dasa.
If these planets are in Deha alone, the native suffers physically. However, if they afflict the Jeeva, misfortunes occur and the life loses direction or meaning. Based on the intensity of the affliction, the native becomes frustrated with life and may even contemplate things like suicide. The nature of trouble can be seen from the nature of the planets afflicting the signs, either Deha or Jeeva. For instance, if the Deha is influenced by Rahu, then the person might have undiagnosable diseases/ or can have danger from serpents; if by Saturn, then he might suffer due to diseases like arthritis, cough and cold or any long drawn disease, if by Mars, there could be boils, injury or accidents and Sun would show the diseases of bile, acidity etc. When these planets influence the jeeva the native might suffer due to deception if the influencing planet happens to be Rahu, theft and burglary if Saturn influences the Jeeva; Mars would show court cases and litigation; whereas Sun can show troubles form Government and influential people. It should be borne in mind that if these planets are well placed such as in exalted, own house or friends house, the troubles would be much lesser, which would be more if the planets are weak and afflicted. For example association of Saturn- Mars, Saturn-Sun, Rahu- Sun, Rahu-Mars etc are the sure shot cases of troubles.
When natural benefics such as Jupiter, Mercury, Moon, Venus or Ketu conjoins both the Deha and Jeeva, a period of happiness and prosperity should be predicted. During such period, there would be an end to sickness and sorrow. Deha alone occupied by natural benefics gives good health whereas Jeeva alone occupied by natural benefics gives happiness and prosperity.
Though not explicitly stated in the classics, the concept of Deha and Jeeva can be extended to the relatives as well to find out their statuses during a certain dasa. To do that, the Dasa needs to be counted from the house ruling a particular relative and counting as many houses from the dasa sign. For example, for a Sagittarius native, running Libra Dasa, to find the health and state of Mother, the dasa sign could be reckoned from the Fourth house, Pisces. Thus, though the jeeva remains the same the Taurus becomes the Jeeva sign. Since, the dasa sign falls in the 8th from the fourth house, if afflicted can show serious health troubles to the mother.
THE PAKA AND THE BHOGA
The effects of the dasa Rasi should be judged from its lord. The sign occupied by the lord of dasa Rasi is the PAKA RASI or ripener of the Dasa. The Arudha of the dasa Rasi is the BHOGA RASI. This shows how much effort is put during the course of a dasa and what kind of fruit is accrued thereof. The paka shows the nature and extent of effort and hardwork we put during a certain dasa and hence is equated with the process of cooking, whereas the final end result is to be seen from the bhoga rasi, which literally means to enjoy the fruits. In this material world of illusion, hardly the fruits correspond to the effort put to achieve them. Thus the concept of paka and bhoga is a very important tool to judge the hardship and the fruits.
If Paka Rasi is a Kendra/ quadrant (1/4/7/10) or Trikona/ Trine (5/9) from Lagna and if Bhoga Rasi is in a Kendra of trikona from Arudha Lagna, auspicious results obtain. The strengths of lord of dasa Rasi, like exaltation etc, shall determine the beneficence of the dasa. Since the paka shows our own effort or karma, this is to be rekoned from the Lagna (true self), whereas the fruits we get is based on the perception of our action by the world, the bhoga is to be reckoned from the Arudha Lagna (perceived self).
The dasa Rasi occupied and owned by benefics gives favorable results, more so, if the Paka Rasi and Bhoga Rasi are also well conjoined and in Kendra/trikona from Lagna and Arudha Lagna respectively.
If the lord of the dasa Rasi is exalted or debilitated, financial gains will be there (Jaimini says tasmai ucche niche va srimantah- the exalted and debilitated planets bestow wealth).
The association of various planets with paka and bhoga would show the the nature of our actions and the results thereof, based on the natural as well as the functional significatio. For example, if the lord of the Moon sign (shubhapati) associates with or aspects Paka Rasi, financial gains will occur. The level of gains, their nature etc, should be seen from the concerned planets and Bhava. Similarly, aspect or association of lord of second house (from ascendant) and Jupiter augments finances.
The placement of the paka and bhoga also need to be seen from the Lagna as well as the Arudha Lagna. Thus a well associated Paka in the second from Lagna make the person invest money (action), whereas the bhoga in the 2nd from the Lagna makes the person accumulate wealth (fruit of action).
Thus due importance need to be given to the below three factors while judging the paka and bhoga.
1. The placement of Paka from Lagna and the Bhoga from Arudha Lagna for the nature and extent of our action and results we get therefrom.
2. The placement of the Paka and Bhoga in different houses from the Lagna.
3. The placement/ aspect of different planets in the Paka and Bhoga. They would influence the action and the results based on their natural significations. The malefic and benefic nature of the planets as well as their dignity (exaltation, mulatrikona, own house, friend's house, enemy's house and inimical house are in decreasing order of dignity), are to be considered.
4. The placement/ aspect of different house lords in the paka and bhoga. They would influence the actions and the results based on their functional significations.
REKONING DASA SIGN FROM THE LAGNA
The analysis of the Narayana dasa needs to be done at two levels, reckoning the dasa sign from the Lagna and the another one by reckoning the dasa sign as the Lagna and seeing various planetary positions therefrom. Here the various indications to be interpreted reckoning the dasa sign from the lagna is given below. The difference in interpretation is that the influence of the natal lagna would cut accross all dasas whereas the results signified by taking the dasa sign as lagna would only be present during that particular dasa. Following guidelines would be helpful in judging the results by reckoning the dasa sign from the lagna-
The Marana Avastha
There are certain houses where, when a planet is placed, it becomes extremely weak to carry out its functions. It loses its vitality and hence unable to protect it’s functional as well as natural significations. Such state is known as Marana (death like) Avastha (state) for the planet. The marana avastha for the planets are Sun in 12th house, Moon in 8th house, Mars in 7th house, Mercury in 7th house, Jupiter in 3rd house, Venus in 6th house, Saturn in 1st house and Rahu in 9th house from the Lagna (or dasa rasi). The planets themselves are called the marana karaka or the significators of death and bring great havoc in the life of a person. When such a death inflictor is in conjunction with or aspected by malefics or in inimical or depression signs, great grief is sure to come.
The dasa of the sign which contains a marana karaka planet would bring havoc to the life of the native by showing death of relatives, signified by the either the natural, functional or movable significations of the planets. They can also show troubles to the matters ruled by the houses lorded by the marana karaka planet. Thus, if Sun happens to be the 5th lord, it can show troubles to father (natural signification) or troubles to the children (functional signification for the 5th house). The scope of troubles can be varied and not everything can be covered in this article, however it can be said that the person would suffer due to the natural as well as the functional significations of the planet under consideration. Some clues are given below to guide the judgment in the right direction for the marana karaka planets-
Pt. Sanjay Rath says Sun causes fire hazards; Moon indicates danger from water; Mars causes accident and danger from weapons; Mercury indicates trouble due to flatulence; stomach problems are indicated by Jupiter; accidents, trouble from opposite sex are caused by Venus and venomous bites by Rahu.
Yogas and Dasas
The yogas (planetary associations) influence the results of the dasa rasi in the following ways:
1. Yogas happening in the dasa rasi will give the results of such yoga during the period of the dasa rasi.
For example if the Dasa rasi has dharma-karmadhipatya yoga (which happens due to association of the 9th and 10th lord in a sign), the period would show rise in career, fame and recognition and participation in many good deeds and overall good results related to the house of Activity/ Karma (10th) and dharma/ fortune (9th).
The dasa Rasi having a Rajayoga karaka (Karta, Kevala, yogada etc) planet shall be beneficial.
Similarly the association of any kendra and kona lord confer rajayoga, unless it is broken by conditions such as weak luminaries or the dispositor of the sign where the yoga is happening or the planets involved in the yoga have poor strength (sthana bala). These yogas can be studied from the standard texts.
2. Yogas in which the dasa rasi lord is participating.
For example, if in a horoscope with Sagittarius ascendant, the dasa of Leo is running and the Sun and Mercury are conjoined in a sign, say Aries, such dasa would be extremely beneficial and harbinger of prosperity to the native. Such dasa would also bring rise in career, fame, money etc to the native.
3. Planets occupy or aspect the dasa sign.
Success and fame are sure to come if Lagna and tenth lord aspect or occupy the Dasa Rasi, since they are the giver of fame. Similarly if the 11th lord occupies or aspect the dasa rasi, it will bring friends, good income etc, which are the significations of the 11th house.
Thus, the results of placement of a house lords in different houses would manifest during the dasa of the sign where the lord is placed and also the dasa of the sign owned by the house lord. For instance, if the Lagna lord is placed in the 9th house, Leo for a Sagittarius asdt native, then the result of such placement would be felt during the dasa of Leo as well as Sagittarius. During this dasa, the native would become very spiritual and religious; he would be interested in higher philosophies, will become charitable and would worship Vishnu as mentioned by most classics.
Thus, from the 12th house & lord and significator losses should be predicted.
Also evil effects are experienced during the Dasa Rasi dispositing the 6th, 8th or 12th lord or malefic planets. If these dusthana (bad places) lords also happen to be the malefics, then the results would be worst.
4. Planets in houses and signs.
During the dasa of a sign, the effect of planets in houses and signs from the Lagna is also felt. For instance, shastras say that when Venus is placed in the 7th house, the person becomes very passionate. Many classics also give the results of a planet in different signs in the zodiac. Such results would also manifest during the period of the dasa.
Let’s say that in the horoscope of a native with Sagittarius Ascendant, Saturn is placed in the 7th house, in Gemini. How the result would be judged for Gemini dasa. This would be the combination of Saturn in 7th house as well as Saturn in the sign Gemini. The classics say that if Saturn is placed in the 7th house, the results would be:
If Saturn is Favorable, it shows, Good friends; Stable wealth; Stable minded wife; Stable marital life; Gain from the trade of Iron and Metal. However, if Saturn is Unfavorable, then it shows, Delays in Marriage; The spouse would be significantly older than the expected age / Lean bodied wife; Affliction to body; Involve in prostitution; Sorrowful; Sexual intimacy outside marriage; Suffer humiliation in the hands of women; Poor; Unhappy; Wander aimlessly; Sickly; Suffer loss of wife; Sinful; Loose morals. Depending on the overall chart, part or whole of the significations would manifest in the life of the native.
5. Dasa Rasi conjoined the lord of any house only promotes the same, provided such yoga for promotion also exist naturally. Thus the dasa’s of signs conjoined the lords of Kendra and Trikona as well as their Arudha are beneficial for such houses.
6. The birth of first child will occur during the antardasa of the sign occupied by the 5th lord or aspected by the same. (Count direct/reverse from Lagna depending on Pada). The birth of second child is seen from the 7th lord and so on.
Badhakasthana is composed of two words namely badhaka, which means obstructions or obstacles and sthana, which means place. Thus badhaka sthana means place (sign) of obstructions/ obstacles. Classics mention that the 11th for movable signs, 9th for fixed signs and 7th for dual signs are the Badhaka (Obstruction) places.
Pt. Rath says that malefics in Badhaka cause sorrow, misfortune imprisonment and diseases depending on their nature (for examples Saturn can show troubles due to servants, Mars from litigation and accidents, whereas Sun can show troubles from influential people or the government). Rahu in the Badhak sign can be very diabolical and would need appropriate propitiation.
Similarly, the placement of the badhakesh (the lord of badhakasthana) harms the sign where it is placed based on the natural significations of the badhakesh. The trouble becomes stronger, when the badhakesh is also afflicted by malefics or otherwise badly placed. During the dasa of the sign housing such badhakesh could be troublesome and so does the dasa of the badhakasthana itself. The best position for the badhakesh is the 12th house from the Lagna, where badhakesh becomes least troublesome.
More details on badhakesh and badhakasthana can be studied from Vedic remedies in Astrology by Pt. Rath and the Prasna Margam.
REKONING DASA SIGN FROM THE ARUDHA LAGNA
The results of placement of the dasa sign from the Lagna can be modified by the placement of the dasa sign from the Arudha Lagna. If the Dasa Rasi aspects the 11th house from Arudha Lagna, the person gets wealth whereas it causes expenses and troubles if it aspects the 12th house from Arudha Lagna.
Some of the guidelines for analyzing the dasa sign from the Arudha Lagna are:
1. Generally benefics in 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th and malefics in 3rd, 6th & 12th indicate Rajayoga.
2. Reverse shall occur when these planets are debilitated in Navamsa i.e. Vipareeta Rajayoga / neecha Yoga can occur.
3. Any planets or for that matter, even an Upagraha is beneficial in the 9th and shows prosperity and protection. It should be used for protecting your image.
4. All planets in 11th show sources on income & in 12th show sources of expenditure.
5. Malefics in 6th show corruption while benefics show honest income. In the 3rd house, malefics shows courage and dominance, whereas benefics shows passivity and complacency.
6. Planets in 7th & 12th show those who shall oppose you/ cheat you at home.
Thus by looking at the placement of the lord of the dasa sign from the Arudha Lagna, one can judge various things. For instance, if the dasa lord is placed in the 11th house from the Arudha Lagna, the native would gain during this period. If the lord of the dasa sign happens to be a malefic and placed in the 3rd from the Arudha Lagna, the native would take many initiatives during this time.
Similarly, the placement and aspect of the Arudha Lagna on signs reckoned from Arudha Lagna are also to be judged. Thus if the dasa sign contains a malefic and is placed in the 3rd from the Arudha Lagna, the native would be risk taking during this time. However, if benefics are placed in the dasa sign, then the native would be passive.
One would face contradictions many times between the results shown by the dasa sign and the lord of the dasa sign. If such things happen, the native would face many contradictions during such dasa and sway between many extremes. An intelligent astrologer would try to blend various significations and come to a consensus.
DASA SIGN AND ARGALA
Argala means intervention. It is said that various signs and the planets placed therein can have intervention other signs based on their placement from the latter signs. One must study the chapter of Argala in Brhat Parasari Hora shastra to understand the nuances of the argala principle. Readers might also want to visit the page on argala in varahamihira blogspot http://varahamihira.blogspot.com/2004/06/concept-of-argala.html.
The argala has to be analyzed in two ways:
1. The Argala or Virodha Argala caused by Dasa Rasi on Lagna and other houses or on any planet (Karaka) will prevail during its entire period.
2. Argala and its obstruction on Dasa Rasi can be timed during the Antardasa of the signs involved. During the Antardasa of a sign having beneficial argala on the dasa sign, without obstruction, beneficial results of the mahadasa would be felt, whereas during the Antardasa of a sign having malefic argala on the dasa sign could bring out the negative results of the mahadasa.
DASA SIGN AS LAGNA
Since the Narayana dasa is nothing but progression of the Lagna, the dasa sign can be treated as the Lagna and various indications can be read from the placements, aspects and yogas happening with respect to Dasa sign. An intelligent astrologer would blend the results arrived at by reckoning dasa sign from the Lagna and by treating the dasa sign as the Lagna to arrive at the exact indication at different times.
Following guidelines would help the reader to arrive at the specific results during the dasa sign:
1. Benefics in the second/twelfth or fifth/ninth houses from Dasa Rasi or Paka Rasi results in Subha-kartari yoga or Saubhagya Yoga (beneficial results) and give auspicious results while malefics in these places produce Bandhana yoga or Papakartari yoga’s leading to bondage. Malefics in the 12th cause difficulties and sleep is disturbed whereas malefics in the second or eighth house have an adverse impact on the finances. Benefic planets in these houses are good for finance etc.
2. If the malefics are in 4th, 8th, or 12th house (Sukha-trikona), there will be no happiness during the dasa. The nature of the bad results would correspond to the nature of the planet contributing to such results.
3. During the period of the dasa Rasi having Rahu in 12th house, everything is lost, name is blemished & imprisonment or exile occurs. Malefics is trines from dasa Rasi augment the evil while benefics prevent or mitigate the same. Similar results maybe predicted for the dasa Rasi having Rahu and other malefics.
4. 4th is the sukha sthana or the house of happiness. Malefics in the 4th from the dasa sign can be troublesome to the native's happiness due to their natural as well as functional nature. Ketu in Kendra to Dasa Rasi brings distress to children and exile and continuous disturbances. Debilitated (even natural benefics while debilitated becomes evil to a great extent) or evil planet (natural malefics while debilitated are the worst) in the fourth house from Dasa Rasi indicates sale/change of residence & land and agricultural losses. Loss of property due to negligence or pests, white ants etc is caused by Mars while Saturn similarly placed gives heart problems and displeasure from powerful people/Govt. Rahu in the fourth causes all kinds of losses, danger from poison and thieves.
5. If malefics are in 3rd or 6th house from dasa Rasi, victory in competition is assured. Benefics in third or sixth cause defeat in election/competition but give rise to spiritual gains. The planets such placed if debilitated in the Navamsa, then the results would be opposite, whereby the debilitated malefics would give Vipareeta Pravrajya yoga and debilitated benefics would give Vipareeta rajayoga.
6. Planets, either benefic or malefic, in the 11th will give gains and happiness. The means of gains would be governed by the natural nature of the planets. Usually benefics shows the income from honest sources whereas malefics shows the gains beyond his regular means.
7. If Rahu is in the Badhak house or 6th, 8th or 12th from dasa Rasi, displeasure of Government, enemies and danger of imprisonment or during journeys will occur. The specific Antardasa will be of those signs conjoined by the Sun, Mars, Rahu or Saturn.
8. Generally, Rahu in four signs Aquarius, Pisces, Aries and Taurus and Ketu in the four signs Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn and Aquarius, tend to give Beneficial results during the concerned dasa.
9. The effect of planets can be independently considered from the dasa sign. For example, if Sun in the Lagna supposed to give bile related troubles, it can also happen during the dasa of the sign housing the Sun. Similarly classics say that Rahu in 10th gives pilgrimages and hence as reckoned from the dasa sign also, it gives pilgrimages to holy shrines.
10. The dignity of the planets shall affect their nature. The dignities can of a planet are Exaltation, mulatrikona, own sign (swakhestra), friendly sign, neutral sign, enemy's sign, debilitation. If the lord of the dasa sign is placed in a inimical sign (the sign of its enemy), which doesn’t happen to be its exaltation sign (Mars gets exalted in a enemy’s sign), then the dasa of the sign which is placed with such as inimical planet as well as the dasa of the sign owned by the said planet shall be troublesome.
To know the friendship and enmity between the planets, one can refer to any standard Jyotish text. The relationship can also be known by the checking the upachaya (3rd, 6th, 10th and 11th) and the 7th house from the Mulatrikona of the planet under consideration. If these house happen to be the signs of exaltation or own house, they ought to be ignored. Since for Venus, whose mulatrikona is Taurus, Libra cannot be an inimical sign, since it happens to be its own sign. Similarly for Mars, 10th sign is Capricorn; however, since it gets exalted over there, Capricorn is not inimical to Mars.
The Mulatrikona signs for different planets from Sun to Saturn are Leo, Taurus, Aries, Virgo, Sagittarius, Libra and Aquarius respectively. Mars in not evil in Capricorn, but instead in Pisces. For example the Mulatrikona of Sun is Leo and the inimical signs are Libra (3), Capricorn (6), Aquarius (7), Taurus (10) and Gemini (11).
To find the inimical signs for Sun, we found that the mulatrikona for Sun is Leo; the inimical sign to Sun would be Libra (3rd), Capricorn (6th), Taurus (10th), Gemini (11th) or Aquarius (7th).
11. The influences on the various houses can be judged from the planets placed in different houses from the dasa sign, thus the planets in the fifth from Dasa Rasi shall influence the affairs of children. Simlarly the planets placed in the 2nd house shall affect the family affairs and wealth, the third house- brothers and courage and initiatives (risk taking behaviour), 4th house- happiness, mother, landed property, formal education; 6th house- enemies, diseases, maternal uncle; 7th - spouse, relationships, desires, travel; 8th- health, loans, occult studies; 9th - dharma, general religiosity, father, wealth and fortune; 10th- work life and fame; 11th- earnings and income, 12th- expenses and foreign travel. These indications are very limited and the readers shall study the classical texts to know more on the indications of different houses. Malefics in the 5th and 9th needs to be checked for bondage and incarceration along with the 12th house.
12. The seventh house from the dasa Rasi is the Mana or the desires of the conscious mind. If the sun is in the 7th house, then the person shall have a desire to improve his career prospects and will either change a job or take up some courses etc for improvement.
If the Rahu (opposed to the Sun and representing poverty instead of the Sun which represents wealth and fortune) is in the seventh house, then the mind shall work against his natural career growth and he may choose a profession that is less paying or may take some such decision that is more towards renunciation.
Venus gives the desires of luxuries and comforts while the Moon so placed gives fame and consequential success in social spheres, popularity, and fame and career growth.
Jupiter makes one get fame due to very good karma or an inclination to teach while Mercury gives a desire to learn.
Mars makes one strive for excellence and to be the best in any line whereas Saturn makes one a mediocre, shying away from work and a loser.
Ketu is the cause of eclipse of the Moon and hence the results of this planet in the seventh house from the Dasa Rasi are the opposite to that of the Moon indicating loss of reputation, ill-fame, loss of position, ill-health and desire to remain lonely/ aloof.
In this manner, the effects of planets in the seventh house from the dasa Rasi should be examined.
13. During the Narayana Dasa of a sign, the Arudha Pada placed in it or its Kendra, or trikona shall prevail and prosper. The Arudha Pada in the Dusthana (6th & 8th houses especially) shall lose significance, decay or be neglected.
DASA SIGN AND DIVISIONAL CHARTS
Pt. Sanjay Rath says that the real clue to finances is seen from the Nakshatramsa or Bhamsa (D27) chart. If the dasa Rasi has a beneficial Bhamsa (the cusp of the dasa sign in bhamsa), benefits accrue. If the lord of dasa Rasi is in exalted or debilitated Bhamsa, great opulence is observed, if in own sign the finances are very good and fair in friendly signs. In inimical Bhamsa, poverty should be predicted.
Similarly, the various divisional signs of the Dasa Rasi should be studied. The following guidelines can be used for analysing the dasa sign with respect to a divisional chart.
1. The placement of the dasa sign lord in strength in different divisional chart shall show good results in affairs related to the divisional chart under consideration.
2. The placement of the cusp of the dasa sign needs to be seen in the divisional chart under consideration; which must be well placed in the divisional chart in a kendra or trikona, for occurance of good results related to the divisional chart.
Note: Equal house system to be used for finding out the cusp of dasa sign. This is how it is taught in the tradition of Achyuta Gurukula.
Only if both the factors mentioned above are favourable, extremely favourable results are obtained in the said dasa, however, if one of the factor is unfavourable, middling results (both favourable and unfavourable) are obtained. If both the factors are unfavourable, the period shows strife in the areas indicated by the said divisional chart. However, one point of caution is that, one must analyse these results in conjuction with the results of the Narayana dasa of the division itself.
DASA SIGN AND PLANETARY AVASTHAS
The various Avastha of the planets should be examined as well for their results.
1. Avastha of planets placed in the dasa sign.
2. Avastha of lord of the dasa sign.
Readers are advised to study the classical texts such as Brhat Parasari Hora Shastra to understand more on Planetary Avasthas and their results.
Dasa Rasi owned by a benefic and occupied by a malefic or owned by a malefic and occupied by a benefic produces beneficial results initially and malefic effects subsequently. Dasa Rasi owned and occupied by malefics always yields unfavorable results while Dasa Rasi owned and occupied by benefics always gives good result. If the dasa Rasi owned by a benefic is occupied and aspected by malefics and benefics, after initial unfavorable results, good results follow.
The results of the Dasa Rasi itself are obtained in the beginning, middle or end depending on whether it is Sirsodaya, Ubhayodaya or Pristodaya respectively.
The whole of the dasa related to a benefic planet at the commencement and end, will be beneficial.
During the dasa of the several signs, there ownership of houses will be felt.
During the dasa’s of Dusthanas owned by malefic planets, very adverse results will be felt towards the end, while the ownership of benefics gives some good effects in the beginning.
During the dasa’s of Kendra/Trikona houses owned by malefic planets, the good effect are reduced towards the end while, if they are owned by benefics the initial period is very fruitful.
DASA Vs. TRANSITS
1. The effects of dasa are modified by the transit of planets in it during the period. Benefics bring good news while Malefics bring distress. Similarly with exaltation/debilitation of planets. Saturn transiting the 8th, 10th or Dasa rasi can be a thorn (Kantaka) in the leg making the journey of life miserable.
2. Transit Moon indicates the fortune while transit of Dasa Rasi lord indicates the bodily comforts.
3. Rahu transiting Dasa Rasi gives loss of name, fame and wealth.
DASA PRAVESH CHAKRA
All yogas should be studied from the Gochar Chakra at the commencement of the Dasa as per their natural signification.
If the Lagna rising at the commencement of the dasa is beneficial and fortified, the malefic dasa will be overcome with fortitude and remedial measures. If the Lagna is evil and weak, remedial measures may not be of much avail.
If the Moon is well disposed in a benefic sign at the commencement of a benefic dasa, the whole period is beneficial. If an evil dasa commences with a benefic Moon in transit, the evils shall be within manageable limits or can be overcome with effort. The disposition of the lord of the Rasi should also be examined in a similar way at the commencement of dasa.
The Dasa Rasi
At the commencement of the dasa, the association of Maraka planets (from the natal rasi chart) with Dasa Rasi indicates the period of ill health.
The house transited by Rahu at the commencement of a dasa will be damaged/obstructed during the dasa. For example, Rahu in the second house would indicate loss of wealth.
Sun, Rahu or Venus in the 12th house from the dasa sign, at the commencement of the dasa brings losses due to the displeasure of government, cheats or superiors respectively while Moon joining them ensures such losses. Jupiter in 12th house indicates payment of huge taxes.
I will be posting a detailed article on the dasa pravesh chakra in near future.
ASTAKAVARGA AND DASA SIGN
1. A sign having more Ashtakavarga points will yield beneficial results. Similarly the signs having lower Ashtakavarga point suffer during the Narayana dasa of that sign.
2. The strength and influence of individual planets are seen from the points they contribute to the Dasa Rasi. During the antardasa of a planet contributing higher number of bindus (4 or more) to the sarva-askatavarga of the dasa sign, the natural as well as the functional signification of the said planet shall flourish, whereas if the number of bindus contributed is less, then misery and suffering follows, related to the natural and functional significations of the planet concerned.
3. Along with the SAV of the dasa sign, the AV of the lord of the dasa rasi also needs to be checked. If the dasa sign lord has gained many beneficial points in its own AV, the signification of the dasa sign will prosper.
1. The antardasa can be judged the same way as the dasa, however there is one more special condition. The antardasa is also to be rekoned from the dasa sign.
2. The antardasa of Rasi’s in the 6th, 8th, 12th from the dasa rasi will be adverse.
3. The antardasa of Rasi’s occupied by malefics will be adverse.
4. Death could also occur if a debilitated/malefic planet also occupies the trines from an evil antardasa. Good results will occur during antardasa having exalted planets or Jupiter in trines. If the Paka is aspected or conjoined by Jupiter, financial gains will be there.
DASA SIGN VS. CHARA KARAKA
The charakaraka represent the karmic bondage of various souls with us. It shows how their influence shall shape our destiny. Thus on one hand the influence of all inanimate beings can be seen from the Naisargika Karaka, the influence of various relations are to be seen from the charakaraka. There are 8 charakarakas and they govern eight kind of direct relationships in our existence; they are namely:
1. Atma karaka (own self)
2. Amatya karaka (advisors)
3. Bhratri karaka (brothers)
4. Matri karaka (mother)
5. Pitri karaka (father)
6. Putra karaka (children)
7. Gnati karaka (kith and kins, maternal relatives)
8. Dara karaka (spouse)
The Chara Karaka placed in the Kendra (1,4,7,10) to the Dasa Rasi attain strength, while those in Panapara (2,5,8,11) are weaker and those in Apoklimas (3,6,9,12) are the weakest. If a particular charakaraka is well placed from the dasa sign as well as well associated / aspected by benefics, that particular relation/ relative would prosper. The affairs related to various relatives can be studied by reckoning that particular charakaraka as the Lagna and judging the dasa therefrom.
When the influence of a particular relation becomes strong in our life can be seen from the association or aspect of the concerned charakaraka on the dasa sign. For illustration, if the Darakaraka aspects the Dasa Rasi, marriage can be expected.
Signs or planets in the Pachak, Bodhak, Vedhak and Karaka from the planet placed in the Dasa Rasi shall surely give their indications. For example, if Saturn is in Dasa Rasi, then the planets, Arudha Pada and sign/house in the sixth house from it shall be destroyed.
The pachakadi sambandha is one of the cornerstone in Jyotisha shastra and is extremely useful in judging the results of both rasi or nakshatra based dasa. This shall covered in details in forthcoming articles.