In Prasna Marga, Harihara has given the analysis of an horsocope based on Badhaka point of view. He says that for all movable signs, the 11th house therefrom is the badhaka sthana, for all fixed signs, the 9th therefrom are their badhakasthana and for all the dual signs, the 7th therefrom are their badkasthanas. Thus for the 12 signs of the zodiac, the badhakasthanas are:
In this method, the quadrants of the house of harm can also be harmful. This is based on the principle of Paraspara Karaka i.e. doing each other’s job when the planets/signs are placed in mutual quadrants. Paraspara Karaka means, you pat my back and I shall pat yours or you kick my back and I shall kick yours. The patting or kicking is dependent on the natural relationship of the planets under consideration. Thus if natural enemies are placed in the quadrants, they shall fight and when natural friends are placed in such position, they shall work with each other in harmony.
From the placement of the badhakesh (lord of the badhakasthana) or planets in the badhakasthana, we can judge the wrath of others and their result consequences in our lives in form of troubles. The wrath of following are discussed here under:
1. Wrath of deity
2. Wrath of Sarpadeva or divine sepents
3. Wrath of parents
4. Preta Bhadha
5. Dristi Badha
Wrath of Deity
The wrath of the deity is to be judged based on various factors. The 12th house from the Atmakaraka is the place of the Ista Devata and it is from the 12th house from the Badhakesh that the past life history of maintenance of the deity is to be deciphered.
The following guidelines are the key to the analysis of wrath of deity
1. Badhakesh is placed in an adverse place and afflicted.
2. If a Malefic planet is placed in the 12th house from the Badhakesh, it indicates that the worshipped image was mutilated.
This brings the wrath of the deity signified by the Badhakesh. Depending on the malefic planets [Rahu, Saturn, Mars] / Upagraha [Guika, Mandi] involved, the following can be inferred: -
(a) Gulika/ Rahu: Gulika is the son of Saturn and extremely diabolical. It rises at the end of the Saturn's portion in the eight part division of the day. Gulika shows poision and Rahu indicate serpents. Hence this indicates some blemishes related to serpents such as a curse of the Serpent deity or a serpent having touched the image of the deity has made it very impure.
(b) Saturn: Pollution /dirt on the image/ temple.
(c) Mars: Disputes /bad management of worship/ image/ temple etc.
The fault leading to the wrath of the deity can be narrowed down as follow. Here we must understand that the if Badhakesh is ill placed and the 12th from the badhakesh is afflicted, the we can be certain that the native shall have wrath of a deity. The reason can be divined from:
1. The malefic influences on the 12th from the badhakesh and/ or
2. The badhakesh itself and/ or
3. From the house where the badhakesh is placed
Cause of Wrath based on placement of Badhakesh in different houses [Ch15, Sl 11],
1. Lagna: Lagna shows image and hence this means that the idol has been mutilated.
Influence of planets on Badhakesh in Lagna:
a. Mars: breaking idol, image or any sacred object associated with the deity. A fresh idol has to be installed in a temple.
b. Saturn/ Rahu/ Gulika: Saturn rules dirt, Gulika poison and Rahu impurities. Thus if they influence the badhakesh, it indicates that pollution and dirt have made the idol impure.
c. If Sun associates, then it is due to birds. (Birds are ruled by Sun)
2. Fourth house: Fourth house shows the place of worship or the temple and hence it means that that the temple is either broken, desecrated or forgotten.
Influence of planets on Badhakesh in Fourth House:
a. Mars: The temple is either broken or dilapidated and needs repairs
b. Saturn: The temple has been forgotten (Saturn rules loss of memory)
c. Saturn/ Rahu: The temple is desecreated (Saturn rules dirt and Rahu rules impurities) and needs to be sanctified.
3. Second or Eleventh house: If the badhakesh is in one of these two houses, these houses being the dhana and aya bhava respectively, it indicates that the deity’s wealth has either been stolen or misappropriated.
The nature of the property can be judged from the nature of the sign. This property is either Dhatu (Inanimate object), Moola (grains, trees, lands etc) or Jeeva (Men, Animals etc) depending on the Lagna as being movable, fixed or dual.
The nature of the sign is however, overridden by planets if they conjoin the Lagna. Mercury and Jupiter signify Jeeva, Sun & Venus signify Moola and the others viz., Moon, Mars, Saturn and Rahu signify Dhatu. This can also be judged from the placement of the badhakesh in different nakshatras. For that matter the naksatras reckoned from Aswini are in the order of Dhatu, Moola & Jeeva.
Similarly, inferences can be made from the other houses.
Since the dispositor of a planet indicate what sustains the planet and the house and also represent the mental and psychological aspect of a house or planet, the remedy of the sin committed against the deity can be seen from the dispositor of the badhakesh. The tattva (Elements) of the dispositor of the badhakesh, shall indicate, which remedy can propitiate the angry deity. The remedies based on the tattvas are given below:
Further Remedies are given based on the house where the badhakesh is placed and also the planet who shows the cause of the wrath(This can be the afflicted badhakesh itself of the malefics in the 12th from the badhakesh). They are as follows:
Remedies based on placement of the Badhakesh in different Houses
Remedies based on the obstruction by planets
Wrath of Sarpa Deva
In jyotish the planet which signify the serpents is Rahu. The placement of Rahu in different parts of the horoscope and the evil influences it exerts show varity of troubles due to wrath of serpents. Based on the nature of influences on Rahu, the serpents can be of various types. Though curses of the Divine Serpents have already been dealt in the section above, placement of Rahu in 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 house requires additional attention and propitiation.
Nature of Wrath:
1. If Rahu is connected in any way with Badhakesh, it becomes extremely diabolical. The dasa of such Rahu could be extremely troublesome. Whenever such placement occurs, remedial measures are compulsory.
2. Jupiter represent the divine qualities and its influence on Rahu while simultaneously influencing Badhakesh, it shows divine nature of the serpents. Thus, if Jupiter associates with the Badhakesh and is placed in a Dusthana [6/8/12] and if Rahu is in a quadrant from Jupiter, then the curse is from superior or divine serpents.
3. In the above combination, if Gulika is in quadrants instead of Rahu, then these are inferior serpents. This is because, Gulika is the son of Saturn and is known for its diabolical nature. The nature of Gulika is to give poison and if it is involved in the wrath of serpents, the trouble could be extrenely strong, as though the life of native has become full of snake venom. Such combination requires immediate propitiation.
4. If the Sun associates with Rahu, then the serpents are beneficial and essentially intent in long term good.
5. Similarly, the Moon associating with Rahu shows evil-minded serpents intent on causing disaster.
The following remedies have been prescribed in the Prasna Marga and other traditional texts
Wrath of Parents
1. The Badhak sign should be Aries/ Scorpio (indicating the anger/ fire of Mars) to show the presence of a curse. The Sun (natural significator of father) should be in this Badhak sign in Rasi or Navamsa to show the curse of father. Similarly, the Moon (natural significator of mother) should be in the aforementioned Badhak sign to show the curse of Mother.
2. The Badhakesh associated with Leo & with Mars/Saturn shows the anger/sorrow of the father or some paternal elder respectively. The Badhakesh associated with Cancer & with Mars/Saturn shows the anger/sorrow of the mother or some maternal elder respectively.
3. 6th lord in 9th house or 9th lord in 12th house or the Sun in the sixth shows the displeasure of father. Similarly, the 6th lord in 4th house or 4th lord in 12th house or the Moon in the 6th house shows the displeasure of mother.
Serve your parents if they are alive. Perform Shraddh or work for some elderly persons in the memory of your parents if they are dead. Mars so placed shows the curse of brother, Venus of spouse etc. The ritual called Tila homa can be performed if the parent is dead.
If the funeral ceremonies or annual rites called Shraddh of the dead are not performed, then, it is believed that such a dead person remains in the form of a Pisacha & affects relations. The presence of Gulika/ Ketu in the Badhak sign shows the danger.
1. If Gulika/ Ketu is in any manner associated with Mars by conjunction, aspect or is placed in Aries or Scorpio, it shows sudden death or accident, burns, weapons, smallpox etc.
2. If instead of Mars, the association was with Saturn, misery & poverty may be the cause of death.
3. Rahu associating with Gulika shows snakebite and other deadly poisons.
Similarly, the sign occupied by Gulika/Ketu show the sex of the Pisacha. If Gulika associates with the 4th house or lord in some manner, then the Pisacha is related to the family, if not, then it is from outside. The ashtottaramsa [108th Division of a sign. If in the beginning, young age and if in the end of the sign, old age is indicated] is the age of the Preta/Pisacha.
1. Ranthu Kamas causes worries and is indicated by the Badhakesh in Lagna or associating with Lagna Lord and Gulika.
2. Hanthu Kamas is intent on killing, and is seen by the association of the Badhakesh with the 6th or 8th house or its lord and the Lagna or Lagna lord. Relief comes from the aspecting benefic planet.
3. Bali Kamas desires some form of Bali (sacrificial offering). This is indicated by Rahu /Gulika is in 4th ,5th ,7th or 8th house. If 6th lord conjoins /aspects, the problem is due to enemy’s action.
Abhichara means black majic. This is something which is practiced in many ways in different parts of the world, invoking the negetive energies. The basic motive for black magic is driving the enemy away from the locality, kill him or cause Lunacy. This can involve things such as giving him food (polluted)/burying material inside his house etc.
Combination for Abhichara:
1. Badhakesh association with 6th house or lord.
2. 6th lord in 1st, 7th, or 12th house as Mars occupies or aspects Lagna.
3. Ketu is 1st, 4th, or 10th as Mars aspect Lagna.
General Remedial Measures
2. A natural benefic in the ninth or ninth Lord in strength in a quadrant or Jupiter in Lagna/aspecting Lagna are a few of the combinations for protection.
3. If malefic are in quadrant to them, they will strongly block the efficacy. The ninth Lord can also be the Lord of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12 houses respectively. The other house influencing the ninth house would show the deity who need to be worshipped. For example, if the ninth Lord is also Lord of second house then, start the remedial process by worshipping the Kuladevata.
4. If any planet conjoined or aspected by a natural benefic or a natural benefic itself, is in Lagna, then the deity indicated by the benefic planet shall surely protect the person.
5. If the ninth Lord associates with the Badhak House or Badhakesh, then the deity he worshipped in his previous birth has been neglected, thereby leading to misfortune and troubles.
6. If the fourth Lord is associated with the Badhak House or Badhakesh, then it is the Grama Devata who need to be worshipped.
7. If the second Lord associates with the Badhak House or Badhakesh, then it is the Kula Devata. Advise resumption of worship immediately.