Marak Grahas I
In Chapter 44 or BPHS, Parashara describes the maraka grahas who can bring misfortunes and death during their planetary periods (dasas). In verses 2nd to 5th he explains the houses of longevity and death whereby he says, "O Brahmin! Third and Eighth Bhava are the two Bhavas of longevity. The Bhavas, related to death, are the 12th from each of these, i.e. Dhana and Yuvati Bhava are Maraka Bhavas".
Out of the two maraka bhavas, Dhana Bhava is a powerful Maraka Bhava. Along with it the following are also considered to be Marakas
1. The Lords of Dhana and Yuvati Bhava
2. Malefics in Dhana and Yuvati Bhava
3. Malefics conjoined with Dhana and Yuvati bhava’s Lords (BPHS 44.3)
The major and sub-periods of these Grahas will bring death on the native, depending on whether he is a long life, medium life, or short life person.
If the none of the dasas of the planets mentioned above is operational during the expected time of death as per the ayurdaya calculations (calculation of age), then the death needs to be seen from the Secondary Marakas. However, while checking the Secondary Marakas, which are given in the order of decreasing maraka power.
1. The Dasha of a benefic Graha, related to twelfth lord.
2. Eighth Lord’s Dasha
3. If none of the above graha's period is running then, the Dasha of a Graha, which is an exclusive malefic, may also cause death (BPHS 44.6 - 44.7)
If Saturn is ill-disposed and be related to a Maraka Graha (as mentioned above), he will be the first to kill in preference to other Grahas. (BPHS 44.9)
1. There are three kinds of life-spans, viz. short, medium and long. Short life is before 32 years, later on up to 64 it is medium life and from 64 to 100 it is long life. Beyond 100 the longevity is called Purnayu (10-14). Persons falling into these three compartments shall die in specific constellations based on the Navatara shceme of classification of the Nakshatras into three groups. According to Pt. Sanjay Rath, if the Janma Nakshatra is stronger to initiate the vimshottari dasa, then the Navatara chakra is initiated from the Lagna Nakshatra and vice-versa.
i. One born with short life combinations may face death in the Dasha, denoted by Vipat star.
ii. One of medium life may die in the Dasha, denoted by Pratyak star.
iii. one with long life may die in the Dasha, denoted by Vadha star.
The lord of these fateful stars or the planets placed there can bring death or misfortune.
The Navatara Chakra starts from Lagna Nakshatra if the Vimshottari Dasa is started from Moon and vice versa.
1. Janma Tara- Birth
2. Sampat Tara- Wealth
3. Vipat Tara- Danger
4. Kshema Tara- Well Being
5. Pratyak Tara- Obstacles
6. Saadhana Tara- Achivement
7. Naidhana Tara- Death
8. Mitra Tara- Friend
9. Parama Mitra Tara- Good Friend
2. The Dasha of the Lord of the 22nd Decanate also cause death. The 22nd decante always falls in the 8th house of the decanate chart. The lord of 64th Navamsa from Moon can also bring death/ misery. The 64th Navamsa falls in the 4th house in the Navamsa chart. Thus, check the 4th lord from Moon in the Navamsa Chart. The 23rd Nakshatra from the Janma Nakshatra is called Vainasika Nakshatra. The lord of this constellation or the planets placed in it can cause death or bring misfortune.
3. Death may come to pass in the Dasha of Sixth lord and in the sub-periods of Sixth, Eighth or Twelfth Lords.
RAHU AND KETU AS MARAKAS
1. If Rahu, or Ketu are placed in Lagna, Seventh, Eighth, or Twelfth Bhava, or happen to be in the 7th from a Marakesh, or are placed with such a Graha, they acquire powers of killing in their major, or sub-periods.
2. For one born in Capricorn, or in Scorpio, Rahu will be a Marak. For Capricorn, Rahu becomes the 2nd lord and for Scorpio, it becomes the 4th lord.
3. Should Rahu be in Sixth, Eighth, or Twelfth house, he will give difficulties in his Dasha periods. He will not, however, do so, if Rahu receives a Drishti from, or is conjoined with a benefic. (This is true for all the planets, who when aspected by benefics give beneficial results and tone down their malefic results.)
DEATH Vs. MISERIES
Should there be many Marakas and, if these Marakas are strong, there will be diseases, miseries etc. in major and sub-periods. Thus these are Marakas and are primarily related to bring death upon the native. According to their dispositions there may be death, or difficulties.
Longevity Calculation prohibited by Parasara before the native attains 20 years of Age. He says to Maitreya, O excellent of the Brahmin! It is impossible to decide upon longevity till the native is 20 years old. Till such year the child should be protected by sacred recitations, religious offerings (of Ghee/ clarified butter etc.) to consecrated fire, as prescribed in the Vedas and scriptures and through medical treatments; premature death may descend on the child due to sins of father and mother, or of his/her own (in the previous birth). We shall discuss this topic in Conditions of Balarista in another article on the topic.
(TO BE CONTINUED...)